So I finally got Pinterest to work my computer, and quickly pinned these beauties – Chocolate Ganache Filled Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream.
And just as quickly, I set out to find a healthier alternative.
Here’s the original recipe, and the following are my modifications.
- Whole wheat flour
- Only 1 cup of raw sugar (plus 5 truvia packets)
- 2 tsp vanilla (an extra half)
- A generous handful of real, dark chocolate chips
- Made as muffins instead of in a pan
- Cooked for about 32 minutes
Healthy Vanilla Bean Buttercream
- Thanks to a tip from a Twitter friend, I scored a half pound of vanilla beans on the cheap at Amazon, so I used one of those – #nomnomnom
- About 5 guestimated tbs of Earth Balance butter (available at Hy-Vee or Trader Joe’s)
- A splash (2 tbs-ish) of almond milk
- 3 packets of Truvia
- 3/4 pkg of silken firm tofu (Mori-Nu, which I found in the salad area of Hy-Vee)
- Let this refrigerate while you make/bake the brownies!!
These work really well together because a heaping spoonful of the buttercream fills in the gap of sweetness missing from the brownies, plus provides a nice secondary texture.
Trust me – you’ll have no clue this is healthy, or that you’re eating tufu.
Bonus Recipe – Brownie Mango Smoothie
Tonight, on a whim, I decided to make a smoothie as another way to eat one of the brownies.
- One brownie
- 1/2 cup frozen mangoes
- 8oz skim milk
- Heaping spoonful buttercream
Holy buckets – divine. Do it. Worth making the brownies and buttercream just to make the shake.